Friday, March 24, 2006

Things

Knowing that I'm a Robbie Williams' fan, a colleague bought me his 'Greatest Hits' Album for Christmas last year.

Great album! Nothing of his typical pop songs. But remakes of oldies. I simply love this album. I am quite surprised (though pleasantly of course) that he is so good with the covers!

I listen to the songs almost everyday at the office, with earphones almost permanently glued in my ears (too much background noise in the office most times).

1. I Will Talk And Hollywood Will Listen
2. Mack The Knife
3. Somethin' Stupid
4. Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me
5. It Was A Very Good Year
6. Straighten Up And Fly Right
7. Well, Did You Evah
8. Mr. Bojangles
9. One For My Baby
10. Things
11. Ain't That A Kick In The Head
12. They Can't Take That Away From Me
13. Have You Met Miss Jones?
14. Me And My Shadow
15. Beyond The Sea

Interestingly, a check on Amazon.com showed that the album cover does not correspond to the songs list. The above list was listed on another Robbie Williams album - "Swing When You're Winning". Weird. Well, being the normal gal that I am, I prefer my hot bod CD cover any day!


Love quite a few of the songs on that album. But the one which constantly keeps popping into my head is 'Things'. The song sounded familiar. Had thought I heard it in the film 'Walk the Line', where June Carter duets with Johnny Cash at one of their tours. But a check of the song turned negative on all her albums. I could have mistaken it with 'Thing Called Love'.

I also thought the female singer who performed the song with Robbie Williams sounded very much like Reese Witherspoon in the movie,with her Southern-sounding drawl. It turned out to be Bristish actress Jane Horrocks, a very talented lady who impressed Jim Cartwright with her impressions of Judy Garland, Shirley Bassey (amongst others), he wrote a play and movie 'Little Voices' to show off her talent. What I especially love about the song is the little 'squibble' the two had at the end of the song!

'Things' was actually written and first performed by Bobby Darin in 1962.

Of course I still listen and simply love the 'au naturel' a.k.a pop Robbie Williams. I love his 'Better Man' song from the album 'Sing When You're Winning'. So meaningful. My significantly other, being the loving and thoughful man that he is (or perhaps in an attempt to stop me from humming out-of-tune and repeating whatever few words I remembered of the lyrics) had bought me that album quite a few years back. The songs from that CD are on my iPod and iShuffle (also thanks to my significant other), which accompany me on bus/train rides, walks to work and the occasional runs.

I love my things..err.. I mean men!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home